December 14, 2010

My Pineapple Doily

I have one row of chaining to do and then I am done with this doily for good!  Since the pattern came from another doily (which I could not find the pattern for) I copied it from the doily itself.  Retro-crochet it so to speak.  The original doily is one that belonged to my great-great grandmother and is a piece of handmade history.  The following picture is the original doily.  I think my great-great grandmother didn't have  a pattern either, because she did some pretty weird things with this. Some of the rows on the original doily aren't joined to the beginning CH.  I did my best to correct this.
I found some crochet thread that was the exact color of red, green, and yellow; however, the pink was nowhere to be found.  I wonder if it got faded over the years or was ruined in the washing machine.  I don't think it would be that noticeable.  Gonna fix this doily.  I am almost afraid to attempt that, but I suppose if I am careful enough it will work ok.

I think the best plan of action is to start from the beginning and repair the white thread.  There are some holes and stitches that are just haning loose.  I have some thread that I was going to use to sew the stitches back.  Then I will remove the color thread and redo the outside.  I think it will look awesome!

2 comments:

  1. The first one is handmade by me and the white one is handmade by my great-great grandmother. I couldn't find the pattern for her doily so I made mine by coping the stitches on her doily.

    ReplyDelete