August 26, 2011

The Comments People Make

How Noah fell asleep.
Alot of times, I sit and wonder if I am doing a good enough job raising my son?   I have strong convictions about what kind of person I send out into our society.  I want him to grow up and be a contributor, not a deconstructor.  Then came depression, because I still can't figure out how to measure my ability to be a good mother.  I know it's unfair to compare myself to anyone, but I can't help myself, I want to know if I am doing things right.

I took my son to McDonald's down the street from where I live, because it has an indoor playground and I thought he would love to play there.  He knew what he was looking at the second we walked in the door; however, I wanted him to have lunch first.  When I was filling up my drinks, an employee made a comment to me about my son.  "He looks like he's going to be a drop out some day."  I kind of acted like I didn't hear that and just filled my drinks up and went and sat down.
Wow.  If she thought that about my kid, then she probably feels the same way about her own.  How sad, and sad for her kids.  I honestly think this is one lazy attitude to take, because when your a parent, your building a person one word at a time. 

Everything you say over your child, enforces what you believe about him/her and then they believe what you say about them.  People used to tell me I was stupid, and I believed them, and ended up struggling with my self-esteem, and confidence.   I have fought all my life to get to this point, and I had to do it all by myself.   Well, I am not going to put my son through the same battle.

I am going to tell him that he is a good person, an intelligent man, and a blessing.

I believe in God, and I certainly belive in intelligent creation, because according to his word, I was created in His image.  So why would I speak words over my son's life that cause him to cover himself in crap that makes him look less and less like the original creation he is?

No.  I am not going to answer to God one day about why I mucked up his beautiful creation.   Well, enough for now and I can certainly stop being so hard on myself now, because I can see the point God taught me through this situation.  Hope makes a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment